Horizon Privacy Notice
Updated as of February 11, 2009
1. Personal Information
- Non-Account Activity. You can view information posted on Horizon without having a Horizon Account. You can also contact us about information without having a Horizon Account.
- Account-Related Activity. Certain other activities on Horizon Faculty/Staff and Parent/Student webpages—require you to have a Horizon Account. We ask for some personal information when you create a Horizon Account, including your email address and a password, which is used to protect your account from unauthorized access.
- Usage Information. We may record information about your usage, such as when you use Horizon, the channels, groups, and favorites you subscribe to, the contacts you communicate with, and the frequency and size of data transfers, as well as information you display or click on in Horizon. If you are logged in, we may associate that information with your account.
- Content Uploaded to Site. Any personal information or content that you voluntarily disclose online (in postings, protests, discussion boards, in messages or profile pages, etc.) becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others.
3. Information That is Publicly Available
- Children’s Online Privacy Act: Horizon website does not intend to collect and prohibits collection of information from children age 18 or under within the meaning of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). If it is evidenced that a user is under 18 years of age, or if a claim or protest is made against a child under the age of 18, Horizon will discard the Posting claim or protest.
- If you submit personally identifiable information to us through the Horizon Website, we use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the general and personalized features and functionality of the Horizon Website, and to process any flagging activity or correspondence you send to us.
- We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. We may, however, use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major Horizon Website changes or for customer service purposes).
- We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous user usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the Horizon Website and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, analyzing, and processing user preferences and trends, as well as user activity and communications.
4. Your Choices
- When you create an account on the Website, some information about your account and your account activity will be provided to other Users of the Website. This may include the date you opened your account, the date you last logged into your account, your age and the country, city and state you are from.
- Your account name (not your email address) is displayed to other Users when you engage in certain activity on the site. Other Users can contact you through messages and comments.
- You may also choose to add personal information that will be visible to other Users (which is the public facing page for your account on the site).
5. Third-party Advertisers, Links to Other Website
- You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the Horizon Website, in which case you can still view postings and protests and explore the Horizon Website, but Horizon may not be able to provide certain services to you.
- You may update or correct your personal profile information and email preferences at any time by visiting your account profile page.
Horizon does not provide any personally identifiable information to these third-party ad servers or ad networks without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. The advertiser may also use information regarding your use of the Horizon Website, such as the number of times you viewed an ad (but not any personally identifiable information), to determine which ads to deliver to you.
Horizon adheres to the US Safe Harbor privacy principles. For more information about the Safe Harbor framework or our registration, see the Department of Commerce's web site
For more information about our privacy practices, or questions concerning the product or your account, please contact us here