Horizon Charter Schools' (HCS) Special Education programs are committed to the educational success of students who have disabilities. HCS provide a wide range of services and programs to the needs of students eligible for Special Education services.
We are proud of the quality special education services that are provided by HCS. Committed, talented, and energetic teachers, psychologists, Speech and Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, para-professionals and administrators serve students with disabilities in the schools. Our special education program is carefully coordinated with the general education program. The following underlying assumptions guide the organization and provision of special education in HCS:
- Special education is a service that should be brought to the students in the typical environments in which they would be educated if they did not have a disability.
- Students with disabilities should have exposure to the rich curricular, instructional, and social opportunities of the general education system.
- Students with disabilities should be held to rigorous academic standards.
- Accountability for meaningful progress is a commitment we take very seriously.
- Families are essential partners in making educational decisions for students.
Nearly all students with disabilities in Horizon Charter Schools receive a full range of appropriate special education and related services, both in the general education setting and in pull out small groups or individual instruction. This system of inclusive education is dependent upon strong working relationships between general and special education and full support from all administrators.
Stacy Wurston 916-408-5200 Ext. 5189
Special Education Analyst